Wednesday 17 January 2007

Miracle in B&Q

I had a near miraculous experience in B&Q whilst doing the floor in my front room. Two things made it stand apart. As I have previously mentioned I managed to buy the moulding for the edge of the room for half the price. This meant that I managed to leave the store having spent less than £30. Now we all know this is a miraculous event as there is an unwritten rule that if you enter B&Q and buy something, no matter how small, the bill will always come to more that £30. A bag of screws - £30, some glue and a shelving panel - £30.
The second miracle was that the item that I wanted was not barcoded - and there was not even a barcode on the shelf. This meant that I had to ask a member of staff how much the mouldings were. I was not hopeful. After wandering around the store for a while looking in vain for an information point or a spare member of staff I decided to ask one of the people on the till. Not only was there no queue! the member of staff left her till and went to the shelf and made valiant efforts to find the correct price. Even returning to the shelf a second time when the barcode she had copied down failed to work (and that is saying something as this particular B&Q is massive. It takes a good five minutes to walk from the garden centre to the timber cutting area.) This meant that I was able to pay the correct price for the item I wanted with the minimum of fuss. This is also a miracle as the staff in your average DIY store seem to resent serving you, in fact I have a sneaking feeling they spend their days working out what thing you want to buy, getting to the shelf just before you, and then removing all traces of the specific item you want. Every other size and colour of item of the type of thing you are looking for will be there but the specific thing you want will be missing. Or, if you are lucky, there will be one shoved down the back of the shelf that has only been stamped on a few times, but missing it's barcode.
So to recap -a miraculous B&Q visit.


ANBBVOTD

No comments: